Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Clocktower (PS1)


Clocktower (Playstation) 1996 ASCII Entertainment


Clocktower was indeed ahead of its time. Unfortunatly, the innovative ideas the game pushed were held back by the lack of technology at the time. It's a point and click RPG taking place in a horror setting. The game centers around several characters, the main ones being Jennifer and her adopted mom Helen. Previously Jennifer had been living at the Granite Orphanage, when she was adopted by an eccentric old man named Mr. Barrows and taken to his castle with several of her friends. They were all then terrorized by a mad scissor weilding circus freak named Scissorman. Present day is one year after Jennifer escaped from the castle, and is now living with Helen, who is doing research on the Scissorman massacre. However, one night when Helen is working on her thesis, Scissorman reappears and begins his killing spree again. Players make their way through various stages and collect items and solve puzzles. The progression of the game is directly influenced by the choices made during gameplay. All the while, Scissorman is stalking you. Your defense? Hiding. There are no weapons in which to defend yourself- you simply must find a place to hide.

I played this title on PC back when it was released and was quite bothered by the apprehensive atmostphere the game creates. I hadn't touched it in years, and upon finding a copy for Playstation, I decided it needed another go. Anthony of Eat-Sleep-Game had never played the game, or even heard of it for that matter, and was willing to play it as well.



I must apologize for the screenshot quality. Sadly, the computer I use for screen capture is out of commission and requires some serious rebuilding. Instead of delaying this review further, or not including screens, I set my camera on a tripod and took pictures of the television screen. With the power of photoshop I have colour and contrast corrected the images, but they are still nothing great. I apologize! If anything, use it as fuel to try and play the game yourself so you can see the real graphics!





Jade: Okay. Gimme some of your initial thoughts upon playing. When you first put the game in what did you think?

Anthony: Clocktower doesn't feel like an "evergreen" game at first. What I mean is that within moments of first booting it up you have zero doubt as to how dated it is. The voice acting was probably on par for the time, but it's painful to hear now. The 3D character models look worse than I even remember PS1 games looking, and the general lack of music is, at first, bothersome.

But after doing some of the investigating and settling into the game, all of that really stopped bothering me. By the time the Scissorman first appeared, I realized that the general lack of music was a calculated decision, creating an atmosphere where you know something is wrong because music does appear, and helping to make the grating sound of his scissors more unsettling.

Jade: Yeah, the "cut scenes" of the character dialogue are pretty horrid, being that the characters are usually statues just standing there staring at each other with minimal movement. Also, the game has to load before everyone speaks, so there is a weird time delay before people reply to each other.



It makes the game seem cheap, and I felt that way when I first played it back when it was released. I do think that the environments, while they have not held up against time, are still really good for the time it was made. It reminds me of Tomb Raider, which blew me away with graphics at the time it was made.

For instance the church scene where the camera zooms in to the altar with the stained glass behind it -- even though the characters are polygon blobs -- the atmosphere and tone of the game made it a very shocking scene.

I also think the "panic music" is perfect. When the panic music passes and it just become silent, I feel that works well too. Instead of crazy panic music being replaced by something soothing like background noise, they give you nothing...which doesn’t provide calm but more a sense of apprehension over when Scissorman will appear next.


Anthony: We know that the music and sound work, even if they feel dated, but now that I think of it, the most obvious reason this feels so retro is the lack of a tutorial. From the moment you start it's up to you and the instruction booklet to learn to play the game. Forced tutorials are a pretty modern convention, but the blatant lack of one just shows me how used to the current gaming standard I've gotten.

In a lot of ways I guess it was good that you were there to help guide me along, as Clocktower is a pretty daunting game (how you played it as a kid blows my mind a little). You're thrown into a world and just implicitly told to explore it and learn more about a murder case, with twists happening that you only kind of understand if you haven't played the older game that bore the same name. Do you think it's important that people play the original one first if they want to better grasp what the hell the PS1 game is about?

Jade: The first game was actually for SNES -- and no, I don’t think it really matters if you have played it or not. I played the PS1/PC version before the SNES one when I was younger, and I didn’t even realize there was a game before it until much later. The storyline is so hard to really decipher as it is, I was just under the impression the game was a standalone. They make reference to things that happened before (Jennifer surviving the previous Scissorman attacks) but I thought it was just the storyline of the game; something you were just supposed to accept.

You said you thought of it as daunting, but I wouldn’t say that as much as you just don’t really know what's going on. Unless you have played through the game a million times, it’s very hard to find the storyline. Everything you do has an impact on when and how the game ends. Like when you played through it Anthony, you only got to play three stages and got a shit ending. There are about 20 other events that could have occurred in the game, but because of how you played you only got three stages. In fact, because when playing the very first stage (Helen at the research facility) you did not pick up the flashlight, you were screwed at the very last stage of the game. To beat the game, you needed the flashlight. You didn’t pick it up? Tough shit. You can’t go back – you’re screwed. How would you even know you needed to pick it up? How would you even know you needed to flash it in a random fireplace? You have no idea that is unless you had scoured through the game endlessly, or read a walkthrough.

If you are playing blind (without a guide), and are just going around the game clicking random things, it is next to impossible for you to get any story out of it. Not until you have played through multiple times taking notes as you go, can you really uncover the storyline. There are "HINTS" that you can uncover, but honestly they just don’t do much. As a young kid, I was used to playing those confusing point and click adventure games on PC, so I was prepared to go through Clocktower with a fine tooth comb like some kind of homework assignment. Nowadays that doesn’t fly; games guide you to what you have to do next.

Anthony: Yeah, I guess I was just rushing through because I felt like ultimately if I made progress I was making the "correct" choices. Knowing what I know now about the multiple endings, I would spend more time combing over the environments during a second play through (though I still feel like the team behind Clocktower did something truly unique by creating a game that really has multiple endings). A lot of games claim to have multiple endings, but this isn't just reaching the same point and then seeing a different cut-scene, it's a completely altered experience. It's easy to get angry at this, but, after the dust settles, I applaud them for making it so the actions you do in the game matter in ways that most games would never dare to try today.

Jade: Did you find this game suspenseful? It isn’t really right to use the word “scary" since it really isn’t scary at all. When I was younger, I found it very suspenseful and was always on edge about when Scissorman was gonna jump out. After multiple playthroughs though, I became more annoyed than scared. There are a multitude of places to hide, so once I found a good spot I would always just rush back to it. Scissorman himself is pretty slow, so it gives you time to get back, but it became more of an annoyance having to drop everything you are doing and backtrack when he appeared. Not all hiding places can be used multiple times though, which blew my mind as a kid. You can hide in the shower once, and when you rush back -- Scissorman will bust through the glass! This gives these moments a bit more suspense, but doesn’t make it actually scary.


Anthony: Perhaps as a kid you were more forgiving, so it stayed suspenseful for longer than it does now; for me it wore out its ability to really jar me after the first night (of playing the game.) It was still fun to play through, but you're right when you say it started to feel more annoying than scary. You talk about the inability to re-use certain hiding spots, but I unfortunately never ran into that. It was very common for me to just return to the same closet in order to once again trick the goldfish-like memory of Scissorman. Maybe a modern remake of this game could have a lot of potential, as better sound design and creepier looking environments could help maintain the suspense even when Scissorman isn't around. Also, a modern AI could help out, as Scissorman quickly goes from scary to almost pitiful when you realize how incredibly dense he is at figuring out obvious hiding spots.




Jade: Well there were sequels -- I gave Clockwork 3 a go and it was a terrible game, in my opinion. The suspense that was meant to be present in the Clocktower games was created well in other titles though. Games like Siren and Fatal Frame, where you have no weapon and must run and hide, were clearly influenced by Clocktower. However, there was more technology to work with in the PS2 days, so this is understandable. Another game that really reminded me of Clocktower was the beginning of the game Haunting Ground, where you are being chased and must run away in an unfamiliar area…which is the suspense that Clocktower was aiming for.

Silent Hill, anyone?


Clocktower itself might not have been what the developers were hoping for, but it really did pave the way for other horror games. Being the Silent Hill guru that I am, I could see direct cues from Clocktower. Almost every item you pick up in SH has one set purpose, and then it's never used again. And it usually is a really weird purpose -- like in SH2 where you use a can opener to open a can containing light bulbs, or use a 6 pack of juice to empty a garbage chute. Clocktower has the exact same random item feel -- you use lead balls to test the depth of wells and toss a box into fire to find a key. The biggest difference is that developers got better at guiding players in what they were supposed to do next. In Clocktower there is no indication of where or on what to use your items. Also if you miss steps in earlier stages of the game, items that you could use later (if you hadn’t missed other items) do not disappear, they still show up in the game- but you cannot manipulate them. This drove me crazy! I would see a tape recorder on the ground, but not be able to do anything with it. I would waste hours trying to figure out why I couldn’t do anything with this recorder -- since I knew it served a purpose -- but until a later play through, where I found the flashlight, I was just left tearing my hair out. In most current games, even if the puzzles are really tricky, they will give you some inkling that you are headed in the right direction. I stated before there are HINTS in the game, but they are HIDDEN, found only if you click on random shit! Who hides the ability to progress the storyline!??!  


Using the ASCII GripV


Jade: This ASCII GripV -- the one-handed controller that Clocktower brags about in the manual -- is actually pretty awesome considering when it was made. It fits in your hand nicely and also has a good rubber grip. Playing Clocktower with it really didn’t feel any different than using the actual controller. In fact, I kept bringing my other hand up to hold the controller with two hands -- out of some weird Pavlovian response. Clocktower really only uses one button and the D-pad, so the controls are simple enough to use on the one handed controller without too much trouble. And, just to try things out, I put in a different RPG. The controller was made specifically for point-and-click RPGs (according to the advertisement on the Clocktower manual anyway), but once you try to play a game that requires a lot of button pressing, you will feel clumsy and overworked. Also, two buttons are on the bottom of the controller, much like the Wii nunchuck, but because of the unfamiliar button layout I found myself turning the controller over to see which button it was, because it felt so alien in my hand.


Anthony: I agree, the GripV was ahead of its time. When tons of controllers were only just starting to consider ergonomic design, the GripV was putting comfort and ease above all else. Too bad it really only works for a slow paced game like Clocktower, as I could have easily seen myself using it to throw down some Resident Evil while I simultaneously sipped on a soda with my free hand.



Hopefully our revisit to the creepy Barrows Castle will inspire everyone to do the same. Despite its faults- Clocktower is a really good game. With the ease of using GameFaqs to guide you, players now can enjoy the game to the full extent without multiple play throughs.

Next I plan to do a rundown on some Commodore 64 titles, and the console itself!

11 comments:

  1. great review!

    i have tried unsuccessfully to get through clocktower multiple times, but i have gotten distracted or bored every time. most recently, i tried to start the snes version, but obviously, to no avail. perhaps this review will be enough for me to get the psx version busted out for one more try.

    killer reference to fatal frame though, in terms of creating a general feeling of oppression (though the camera in fatal frame was badass). i love games that make me feel defenseless, and i feel like the psychological and emotional ramifications are always more intense. being ALMOST out of ammo in silent hill on the harder difficulties ALWAYS made it exponentially scarier to me.

    thanks so much for the review! i would love to hear what you had to say on some of the subtler nuances of silent hill though, and obviously, a trip down the commodore 64 memory lane would be dreamy.

    your hands are awesome, and i thank them both for tapping this out for us plebes, and thank you anthony, for going old school for our benefit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The background on your site makes it very difficult to read the text(eyestrain city). I would strongly recommend changing it. My eyes thank you...

    ReplyDelete
  3. @TwistedPretzel I darkened the background- is it better? I certainly do not want people going blind or throwing up while reading my site! Hopefully the darker background helps!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome review! I also like that you reviewd an accessory. Of course, it makes perfect sense being that the ASCII GripV was especially made for Clocktower. But I'm very much looking forward to read more reviews of 'dusty' accessories.
    Also, can't wait for the Commodore 64 stuff! I was more of a Sinclair ZX Spectrum 48k/128k guy myself, so I'm pretty stoked to see more of what I missed. Thanks!

    P.S: Background much better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Background definitely much better Jade.

    I've always wanted to play Clock Tower, just another I've never got around to. Can't wait for those C64 games. Somehow I've ended up with a Commodore VIC-20 in my closet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is so awesome that others appreciate a different kind of survival horror that is Clock Tower. I've also been a fan of this game since I was a kid and was scared shitless the first time I played it. My cousins and I played countless hours of Clock Tower, but could never get a good ending. The journey was worth it though. This kind of survival horror will always be the most meaningful and innovative games. Good to find more fans of the genre.

    ReplyDelete
  7. http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/psx/file/196936/6317

    for anyone looking for the faq.

    i am getting through this game!

    @valke: oh the vic-20... c-64s sad little brother. i hope you got the cassette tape data storage unit! that definitely makes it classier!

    ReplyDelete
  8. @mutigen I actually don't have the cassette tape unit, but I got the vic-20 for $5 at a thrift shop, not bad. Also, wouldn't the vic-20 be the c64's sad big brother?

    ReplyDelete
  9. @valke age ain't everything!

    get yourself a c64 emulator. i just got a pack of 5000 games, and have been having an absolute blast. there are emulators for the original xbox and the psp, and they run perfectly.

    i never could get myself to have any fun with the vic-20, but i guess it is a good piece of history or wall art for the creatively inclined. enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, those are stabby nails :)

    ReplyDelete